Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Friday! Happy Mother's Day! The FashionMom Bar!






Happy Mother's Day to everyone!


Home Bars and bar areas are some of my favorite places in homes. Not because I am a lush,  I barely have one or two drinks every other week but because it seems so glamorous and it reminds me of  parties, cocktails, fun times. Bars are a great way to meet new people and I have lots of new neighbors to meet this summer. So with that in mind my bar setup has to be super! We have a covered deck in our home so my bar area will go there for guests.

Trolleys and Trays
 I have a trolley which was purchased on Amazon.com and there are several different styles Trolleys to choose from in varying prices and styles. I have wonderful memories of the trolley used by my parents when I was growing up, their friends would visit and my dad would set trolley with an ice bucket and all of his favorite drinks and liqueurs. My Mom would bring out her famous punch bowl and  her best glasses from England, it was a wonderful time. Happy Mother's Day Mom!



Rita Konig
Rita Konig  Rita Konig is an English designer and writer for the Home in the NY Times and she  is now doing the same for The Wall Street Journal. She is English and is the daughter of the famous interior designer Nina Campbell, but she has a voice and style all her own. Her quirky sensibility appeals to me because a lot of what she does speaks to her English background.  She has done several stories on home bars Rita Konig Bar 1 and they have included the must have in any home "The trolley" . When it was time for me to do a set-up I modeled mine on Ms Konig's stories Rita Bar 2
My trolley is located in a corner of  our deck and it is wheeled out when guests arrive.
It makes everything much easier, I would love to have a second one just for a punch bowl set and and ice bucket for extra ice cubes.







 Along with the trolley I have a rolling metal office cart, which I purchased years ago from Office Depot. It holds tiny sodas, Angostura bitters, and bar napkins, shot glasses, straws and other tiny accessories all of which help to improve the drinking experience.






Waiting for guests or....just us


Our little stash!

Trays
Wood Trays from West Elm.

I love trays, modern and traditional, West Elm has some of the best ones right now( see link)

Carmen Tray from Crate and Barrell

bdjeffries.com





Cocktail Napkins
Cocktail Napkins also add a certain cache to any event, Target has an excellent selection in their stores and I got some additional ones at a local  boutique Festivity Festivity here in Atlanta. The paper coasters from Iomoi are divine, you must try these, simply gorgeous! Paper Coasters
Fabric Napkins are another beautiful option.
Fabric Napkins from Shopgramercy.com
Vintage Napkins are always a great option if you really want one of kind napkins.
Vintage 50's barware from Etsy.com

Another great addition would be bottle tags Bottle tags from Paper Jane.




Paper Cocktail Napkins


Paper Cocktail Napkins

So what is standard on our trolley?

  • Malibu any flavor - on the rocks or chased with Cola.
  • Goshlings Rum from Bermuda- Makes a great Dark and Stormy
  • XM Rum from Guyana- Excellent for a Cuba Libre or  just on the rocks.
  • Campari
  • Pimm's
  • Cointreau for sipping
  • Ten Cane Rum from Trinidad and Tobago- Makes a mean Mojito.
  • Demerara Golden Rum Creme Liqueur ( similar to Bailey's)
  • Claytons Kola Tonic from Barbados - non alcoholic beverage made from the Kola Nut from South Africa ( can be drank on the rocks, or as a chaser for gin or with lemon lime soda.
  • St Germain- best with Champagne or Prosecco and club soda with lots of lemons and ice.
  • Vodka- no preference.
  • Wray and Nephew overproof White Rum from Jamaica
  • Kahlua - Kahlua is a favorite.
  • Bitter Lemon
  • Lemon Lime Soda
  • Coke
  • San Pellegrino Aranciata ( bitter orange soda from Italy)
  • Fanta Orange Soda
  • Lemons/Limes/Oranges/Cherries/Mint
  • A Sparkling Red wine, my favorite is a Shiraz by Paringa, full bodied and potent.
  • If not Champagne, a Prosecco and a Moscato or Reisling ( all German fan).





Glasses
I love Tom Collins glasses, they are simple, anything looks wonderful in a Tom Collins glass. My current favorites are from Martha Stewart and available at Macy's Stores. The ones below scream Vintage!









There is an astounding amount of inventory for glasses also at Etsy.com at for every price range. Glasses at Etsy.com


I wanted to share three of my favorite recipes with you, they are simple to mix and that is why I love them so much.


 In a Cocktail or Old Fashioned glass, mix one part Kahlua with 3 parts Club Soda (chilled). Add a cherry and go. One of the best!

St Germain ( Collins Glass) - Mix one part St Germain, with 2 parts Prosecco or dry Champagne and 1 part Club Soda. Add 2 lemon slices at the top. Mix thoroughly!








Cuba Libre ( Old fashioned)  - One part Rum (my preference is El Dorado or XM Rum preferably 10 year old from Guyana)  and 3 parts Coke.

To wrap up....

As you all know,  I did a story two weeks ago about Pottery Barn and their barware promotion. Pottery Barn is one my favorite destination for ideas on entertaining. They have a wonderful entertainment section on line and it includes this video from master Mixologist Manny Hinojosa.




Manny Hinojosa video courtesy of YouTube


I would like to wish all of our mothers Happy Mother's Day. Enjoy your special day!


Please remember to drink responsibly!















































No comments :

Post a Comment

Popular Posts